My Photo
Name:
Location: Bay Area, California, United States

A girl with a sensitive heart, high volume laughing/smiling capability, loves small talk and long conversations. can't imagine living without family, friends and ice cream oh and LipGloss!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Last Day...

April 3, 1981 - Born in Kolhapur, Maharashatra, India.

July 1984 - First time I entered a School in Shivaji Peth.

1985 - 1994 - Laughed, cried, watched hindi/marathi movies, learned math, science and geography along with Shivaji Maharaj Stories. Along with all that, I learned to sing the national Anthem. Memorized, "India is my country, all indians are my brothers and sisters, I love my country and I am proud of its rich and varied heritage." Learned that 15th August, 1947 is the Independence day of India. Read textbooks on M. Gandhi, J. Nehru, LokManya Tilak, and more. During this time somehow, someone entered my heart and head and made me a Proud Indian.

April 1, 1994 - Got on a plane and flew to the United States of America (no it was not a april fools joke).

April 1, 1994 (U.S time) - Realized that I am no longer surrounded by the people who speak my language, look somewhat like me, eat the same food, dance like me, admire the same freedom fighters and actor/actresses, stand in line to get groceries at a local "dukaan". Eat Parley-G biscuits and buy fruits and vegetables in an open market or from a guy who screams outside your house, "Bhaajiwaaaala."

The airport was Huge, the car which came to pick us up was Huge, the roads were Huge, the light poles were Huge, the banana which was given to me because I was hungry was huge. It was a shock and a change for me -- a Huge one indeed.

April 15, 1994 - My first Day at an American School. Everyone looked the same to me. I didn't understand a word. I wanted to run away. I found myself sitting in an office with my mom, a white guy, a white lady and my cousin. I was admitted into Jackson Middle School as an 8th grader, who didn't look like the other kids in school. I dressed in poofy dresses which were made by Arihant, our family daarji in Kolhapur. Other kids looked at my long last name and asked many questions. The first day I took the bus home, I was scared out of my mind that I am not going to see my mom again. The bus driver was nice, she dropped me off on Bricker road. I walked to 8111 Bricker Road and saw mummy waiting for me ouside. I ran and hugged her. I never wanted to go back to school. I wanted to go back to Kolhapur. Be with Arachana, Swati, Rupali, Ashwini and Yogita.

1994 - 1995 - I wrote letters to my friends in Kolhapur. Wondered when I would visit India again. Watched hindi movies which were in my Aunt's house. Wondered what the kids in Kolhapur did for this diwali. The same year I joined the track team and became a top runner in Middle school.

1995 - 1996 - I entered 9th grade, Jackson High School. There were kids who drove their cars to school. I still took the Yellow Box (school bus) to school. I was part of the Varsity Track team. I was friends with all the popular kids in highschool. I took german lessons, and used dictionaries to understand German to English, and many times English to Marathi. I heard my name over the loudspeaker in the mornings for winning a track meet from the night before. Sometimes the librarian came and gave me 'today's newspaper' with my name highlighted in the sports section.

1996 - 1997 - Mummy got a letter from the school saying that it is important that she attends an event after school on a Tuesday night. Mummy, didi, dada and I got there a little late. We sat in the back of the auditorium. A teacher started talking about a 'student' to the whole audience. I poked mummy and said, "i think he is talking about me"... mummy told me to keep quiet and pay attention, and a moment later he said, "Can everyone please rise and welcome Pallavi to the stage!" The only thing my mom could do was cry. Photographs were taken, everyone clapped, I received a Presidents/Honors Award for the year. I still have the certificate which is signed by Bill Clinton.

1997 - 1999 - I fought with mummy to attend the prom, but failed. I fought with mummy to go to late night parties with my american friends, but failed. I fought with mummy to go watch a football game at 9 pm., but failed. I talked back, answered back, said things like, "everyone at school does this then why can't i?" I failed to understand where mummy was coming from. I managed to graduated highschool, got my drivers licence. Got my first job as a Perfume Sales Representative at a perfume shop. I was accepted at the University of Akron for the honors Mgmt/Int'l Business Program. I met many other indian kids in College. I started listening to Hindi songs again, liked Shahrukh khan, started dancing to indian songs again, participated in diwali shows, attended Indian Students Association meetings, and hung out with fellow indians in a area called "desi basti" on spicer Ave.

2000 - 2006 - Moved to Los Angeles from Ohio. Finished college. Found a new job. Met Chinmay. Got Married. Started a new life...

March 5, 2006 - Today is the last day I will be an Indian Citizen. The INS has called me into the El Monte office to take the citizenship exam to be an American Citizen. I made the decision to do this, but somewhere deep inside me an indian girl will always remain, who was born in kolhapur, who learned the jana gana mana without realizing when, who still can't sing the star spangled banner, who can't tell who the 5th american president was, who has never attended an american wedding or stepped inside a church. A soon to be american citizen who will perhaps remain indian... at heart.

9 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Ok, firstly, I have always wanted to write letters! :)

There you go. All said. Citizenship really doesn't matter, does it? Once an Indian, always one. Cheers.
Smile! :)

1:14 AM  
Blogger R said...

And I tried my heart out to search you but orkut won't let me. You also try once. I will try again, in sometime. ...Rohit Talwar.. Searching on orkut is really a PAIN!

1:20 AM  
Blogger prasad said...

Nice post.. I could visualize some of the things happened, have heard stories about the things described in the post from you.. And I too don't think it's the last day of you being an Indian .. can harldly imagine of a totally American you. :)

1:35 AM  
Blogger R said...

I tried finding you too! I tried with your second name, there was no result.. I tried Pallavi, and there were endless results. WHAT TO DO?! :(

5:38 AM  
Blogger Abhishek said...

congrats yaar!!

6:33 AM  
Blogger zack said...

more than 10 yrs in U.S. n u still like sa ra ga ma , dance to the tunes of hindi songs and have rang de basanti cd ... while half of us here are going gaga over "the american way of life" ... five years down the line i might as well end up there but this blog of urs makes me wanna think twice . jai hind .

3:53 PM  
Blogger RS said...

I'm unsure if I should congratulate you, India is losing out on such a vibrant person after all. But this post definitely has made my day.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

"A soon to be american citizen who will perhaps remain indian... at heart."

Interesting!

3:43 AM  
Blogger aneeket said...

wow....ur hearts in place...

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home