My Photo
Name:
Location: Bay Area, California, United States

A girl with a sensitive heart, high volume laughing/smiling capability, loves small talk and long conversations. can't imagine living without family, friends and ice cream oh and LipGloss!

Monday, September 19, 2005

troop

when the word troop comes up, you automatically think of group, set, cluster... and as simple as a circle of friends. I've always had a good friend circle. I was born and raised in Kolhapur, India. So, where I lived, everyone spoke marathi. Even the non-marathi's knew how to speak the language. But when I moved to the United states, the only marathi spoken people I knew were my family members. Now, everyone at school only spoke english. So it was either speak english and be their friend or shut up. I picked up the language along with the accent (rather i tried) and I succeded. I think.

Well, over the weekend, I was on the phone with my sister in law who lives in bombay. Her daugther (my neice) Anisha is only 3 years old. She goes to school for 2 hours a day. Bombay being the mixing bowl.. full of different types of people who speak differentl languages. It's understandable that the schools are full of variety of people.

Anisha's parents are very strict about the fact that they want their daughter to speak good marathi. Many kids in bombay only speak english and absolutely have no clue about their mother tongue. Obviously Anisha's parents do not want anisha to be one of those "english-spoken kids with no knowledge of own mother lang."

Understandable.

But, is that a good thing? Is Anisha understanding this already and taking actions which she shouldnt? Does she know that she is only suppose to talk to people in Marathi? How is she handling this you ask? .... Well.... there are 20-30 some students in her class. She is in school for 2 hours a day. The classroom is full of all types of kids. Come to realize, Anisha and the others somehow formed a troop of their own. Troops..which only speak in a specific language. Anisha now only has friends who speak marathi. There is another group of kids who only speak gujurati, then punjabi, so on and so forth.

I wonder, how many kids did she try to talk to before she realized that she doesnt understand them. How does a 3 year old do the "same language spoken hunt?" Amazing how she made the decision of blocking everyone else out but the Marathi kids. Howz the brain working? Whats the troop sorting process? I wonder! ...

19 Comments:

Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

What are my chances of being first to comment here??


Im typing real slow today ;)

1:34 AM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

When I moved to Pune 2 yrs back, every other colleague was a localite brahmin and I used to connverse with them in either hindi/English. I hardly spoke in Marathi during my school days, even though all my friends were Maharastrians.

No wonder they used to comment back, "You are kalank on the name of Maharastrians. You dont know how to speak marathi? Jeeezzzz..."

They forced me to speak in Marathi while in Pune and now yes, I can..speak pretty decent marathi :)

I dont speak in Marathi back at home though...marathi only with parents....not with bro

Loooking at the way Indian culture is getting westernised, I dont know how my next generation will be like....but I dont think they will speak in Marathi. I dont want them to speak in Hindi either...its better they start cyring in English and the first words that come outta there chweet mouth is DAD and MOM :)

PS: "and" is just a seperator above. I dont want them to be born with 100+ IQ at birth itself ;)

1:41 AM  
Blogger AmitKen said...

first time here and tuza blog khup chaan aahe :o)

I too speak marathi only with my parents, having grown up in North india, all my friend circle was non-marathi. When i went to Nasik for higher studies my marathi classmates told me, "u better keep talking in hindi and stop being a killer of marathi." I was also given a title of "Marathi Bhaiya" :o))

heheh.. :D though in my 2 yrs in Nashik, i started speaking marathi quiet well.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Sidewinder said...

mmmm!! Those qualities are installed in our genes! Forming or sorting gangs and troops were the first and the foremost development in the evolution of human kind! :)!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I call this groupism :) ppl always form groups and they identify what's familiar to them to choose their group.

When u go to a place where oldies and young ppl r present, wouldnt u usually go chat up someone ur age rather than someone older? ppl 'identify' their groups by visual and audible cues...thats what I believe....there must be a brain region where it solves the logic for us.

I think lil Anisha (tho she's a lil smarty cutey pie) also used audible cues to choose the Marathi kids...she may have heard her parents and relatives speaking Marathi at home and elsewhere, and this lead for her to identify her group in her school - thats what I think :)

Intuitive post Pallavi...
Keshi.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@Arjun,
"What are my chances of being first to comment here??
Im typing real slow today ;)
----What? are you pulling my leg???

Gosh, pune is one place where ppl really keep up with their marathi, but i hear thats falling upapart slowly too. True?

@Amitken,
Welcome to my blog!! Hey cheers at your for liking my blog :) So where in North were u raised?

@sitewinder,
interesting way of looking at the group formation. I like it :)

@keshi,
i couldnt agree anymore with you.

@palchin,
Hmmmmmmm!

8:01 AM  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

Hey dear nice post

english-spoken kids with no knowledge of own mother lang."
ye even I don’t like that…

But that troops stuff is not encouraging for kids…

troops… which only speak in a specific language
this really not good for childs development…

mother lang can be easily picked up by speaking that language at home…
one need not find friends only of that language…
I’m wondering… how can a crush/school allow that…

Quite strange…

Cheers

12:33 PM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@puneet,
I agree with u. How have u been???

2:15 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I agree with Puneet..tho we r made to identify the likes, we need to allow kids to mix with everyone...all children of the world...should not separate them based on religion, cast and creed or language...thats not such a good thing done by the kid. Parents should know that. It's imp to teach kids their mother tongue but not in this manner...

How u been Pallavi?
Keshi.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

are you pulling my leg???
Naaaah...
I came on ur blog and saw new post...
I thuoght K000kie-masta will be busy in punching "IM FIRST" on her lappy....so I wrote that.
Can beat ur sis na :)

True?
Pune has turned into Youth city now...
its not falling apart...thanks to hard core & dedicated maharashtrians...but since I moved in there, I think Im falling in luv with ma mother tongue. It feels good to speak in marathi, you know

I think, mala aata ya blog var marathi madhe comments lihile pahijeth. Kai vichar aahe aapla??

10:23 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**IM FIRST" on her lappy
lol z000nie get over it plz :):)


**mala aata ya blog var marathi madhe comments lihile pahijeth. Kai vichar aahe aapla

HUHHHH?? thats rude talkin in ur language when Im here...:( me chaaad now...lol!

Keshi.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Translate:
"I think I should start talking in marathi from now on in your comments. What do u think Pallavi??"

Now there is nothing to be sad about right??



Z000nie outta this blog in search of K000kie's Pole-blog-mates

11:27 PM  
Blogger Dancing Queen said...

if everyone spoke english, the problem would be solved! lol jk

4:24 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**Now there is nothing to be sad about right??

yess z000nie there is :( if u comment in Marati in future how am I gonna enjoy ur great sense of humor? sob sob sob!


**Z000nie outta this blog in search of K000kie's Pole-blog-mates

LOL u still havent found one nah? nenenene...

Keshi.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@Arjun,
glad to hear pune is still keeping the roots....
hey we cant make my lost sis feel bad ok..so we'll make sure we translate everything in english here :)

@keshi,
Smiles!

@guesswho,
what is so ghati?
"ghati is a MEAN term used for marathis! so...guesswho.wat is so ghati???

@razia,
come on now..dont be a hater cuz u aint got no skills to understand more than one language....!!!!!!!!!!!

@PT,
Very interesting what you said..cuz i think i could relate to that at some point in my life too when i first moved to the united states abt 12 yrs ago. Also, you are so creative with ur wrods and thoughts. :)

11:13 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

I gonna enjoy ur great sense of humor?
Awwww :(
I think then I will have to translate marathi into english for ya. That will work fine right?

And like razia said above:
"if everyone spoke english, the problem would be solved"

Problem solved now

:)



Pssst...Pallavi how about changing word verfication to Marathi. That is possible right?? :)

Im outta here before my evil-ness is revealed. tata

1:38 AM  
Blogger Dancing Queen said...

pallavi u know i understand hindi 100%!!! i mean, just remember last year when i went to artesia with you and your mom at that dress store! I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT WAS GOING ON, DAMMIT!!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@Arjun,
ya we'll keep it to english

@Razia,
SHUT UP! u created so much drama thinking the guy was saying mean things about you BUT in reality he was actually being NICE!!!!!

1:05 AM  
Blogger AmitKen said...

:)
well, i grew up in Hindi heartland.. Kanpur to be precise.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home