My Photo
Name:
Location: Bay Area, California, United States

A girl with a sensitive heart, high volume laughing/smiling capability, loves small talk and long conversations. can't imagine living without family, friends and ice cream oh and LipGloss!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Shivaji Peth

Our house was the biggest one on the street. Three stories with grand balcony. I waited with pony (my dog). She came to pick us up at home. Didi and I ran down the steps and joined the other kids, we walked. It was a 15 minute walk before we reached school. Too close to get there by a rickshaw or bus. We went along with many kids on the street. Good times. Now, when I close my eyes I see white shirts, blue skirts and dresses, red belts and ribbons. Some hair with oil and some with no oil. I was always jelous of the girls with long hair, I too wanted to braid my hair but my mother always kept our hair 'in-style'.

Men standing on the corners, people waiting for the bus to take them to the main part of the city for their jobs, women spritzing water outsdie the main entrance. Girls who no longer went to school put rangoli in the front yard. One grocery store by Dr. Raut's office and maybe 500 yards down the street was Patil Mama's shop. The milk kiosk was so small that only one person could sit inside it, that's where they sold the 'cool' type of milk in those blue bags with air so tight. It said "vaarna" on it. I always wanted to poke a needle and make the milk go "ssssssssss". But I never did it, even once.

17 Comments:

Blogger AmitKen said...

:)
i could picture Shivaji Peth while reading this. Patil mama's shop and the milk parlour were almost in front of my eyes...

and you were too gud a girl, u dont know what fun u missed by not poking needle in that milk bag :))
i did that numerous times with a thin stream of cold milk going hissssss all over my face.. which followed some scolding by mom :o))

that was fun... and so is this post of you ..

Lovely :o))

2:17 AM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Got few memories of ma childhood days back...

Especially the milk one.

I always wanted to poke a needle and make the milk go "ssssssssss".

I did this along with ma bro and waste Rs6.25. Afta that mom's scolding was worth 6000bucks.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol so naughty @milk

I wanted to tap on ppl's shoulders and act as if it wasnt me...hehehe...

Keshi.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@dreamgirl....
yes. its always what you dont have..u want.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@dreamgirl..
hey why cant i see your blog? there is no link for me to view ur blog?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@keshi
hahhaha yes i still do that..i'll tap and go to the other side...
specially to my mom!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@Amitken,
whenever i read things..i picture them feel like i am ther.e..

@arjun,
lol aai ney maaraley ka re tula? hahahaha (did ur mother beat u up?)

@PT,
THank you =). i love remmebering old times brings back smiles and tears.

9:07 AM  
Blogger R said...

you really write well. in this piece i dont know why but it reflects a lot of innocence to me... donno how others feel really.. but.. :)

2:43 AM  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

ye vaarna milk... i do remember that...
"sssssssssssss" heheheh
should have tried

Good post yaar...

take care
Cheers

4:35 AM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Aaai ne marla??

Vicharu nako kai kela "milk" cha scene baghitlya var...tya nantar me kadhi-hi milk aanayla gelo nahi...

No....no..
Dhoodh pun nako....mar tar nakoch nako

Habe a nice realxing weekend ahead!!
Take care

5:57 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@Rohit,
thank you much for such nice words.. =)

@Puneet,
dekha, we missed out..we should have done it baack then..but maybe fun now too..never know ;)

@Arjun,
hehehehe
beechara.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

@Dreamgirl,
hey ..yes u have to go in your settings and make your blog available to everyone. right now no one can see it.

8:26 PM  
Blogger R said...

Pallaviiiiiiii.... time to update!!!!! whatsay?

1:35 AM  
Blogger Pallavi said...

i agree Rohit.. =)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol Pallavi I do that to my Ma too..and she's like 'stop being a 10yr old'...lolllz!

Keshi.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

where r ya Pallavi?

Keshi.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Looks like a Pune setting. 'Peth' is typical Puneri, I guess

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home